Skip to main content

Can a father give up his parental rights? If yes on what terms?

San Antonio, TX |
Attorney answers 2


A father can give up his parental rights willingly but he will still be obligated to pay child support until the child is adopted by another person.


You can file a petition to terminate your parental rights, which may or may not be approved by a judge. Generally, a judge will not allow you to terminate your duty to support your children unless a stepparent simultaneously petitions to adopt and support and your children.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer