Skip to main content

Can a F-1 Student Visa denial be appealed?

Minneapolis, MN |

I am trying to sponsor a Haitian student. He was accepted into an intensive language program at the univ. of minnesota for spring semester 2012 and also accepted into a physical therapy program for fall 2012. The consulate denied his application citing that he could take English classes in Haiti. We believe he needs to attend English classes here to improve his English skills enough to succeed in college.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Unfortunately, the U.S. embassy in Haiti is notorious for denying even qualified non-immigrant visa applicants. If the clock is still fresh, I believe the applicant can request a supervisor review of the file, not really an appeal. But my strongest suggestion is to contact a qualified immigration attorney familiar with the U.S. embassy in Haiti, also note there are many qualified pro bono agencies that deal specifically with Haiti and Haitians. But time is of the essence.

The statement above is only for general knowledge purposes and at no time intended to be a legal opinion. The individual posting the question and those reading should always obtain the advice of a qualified attorney. No attorney/client relationship is established.



Is there an organization that you are aware of that does pro bono work for Hatians? I'm having difficulty finding someone in Minneapolis.

Richard Andrew Constantino Alton

Richard Andrew Constantino Alton


It may be difficult up there, but one national organization that may have lists of pro bono agencies is AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Assoc.) and in Florida FIAC (Florida Immigrant Advoc. Center)


No. As my colleague states, you can ask for supervisory review if the denial is recent, but there is no formal appeal.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You may wish to discuss with a lawyer who is familiar with the procedure for successful visa issuance in Haiti.
Perhaps you may wish to apply for another type of visa where there is a possibility of sucess.



I agree with my colleagues. It would be best to contact an experienced immigrationa ttorney who has assisted prior clients with obtaining benefits through the Consulate in Port-au-Prince.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.