Skip to main content

Can a employer keep medical rienbursement money you paid in advance even if you havent worked there in 2yrs

Portland, OR |

i was working on a prevailing wage job and my employer took 2500 in advance and now i havent worked there in to years and they say i can only have my money for medical reinbursement

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The answer may not be as simple as the question. Where I would start is looking at the contract. Presumably the employer has a written plan that you paid into. If so, there should be a written plan with rules regarding its purpose and uses.

Information is provided to assist the reader in forming questions and allow them to take full advantage of a consultation with the attorney of their choice. Schuck Law, LLC does not provide legal advice to individuals who have not signed a written fee agreement with the firm. The facts, which were not disclosed in the written question may change the advice, if any, that would be rendered by the attorneys at Schuck Law, LLC. For these and other reasons, Schuck Law, LLC is not responsible for any damages caused by the reader's use, mis-use, or interpretation of the information provided herein.


The answer depends entirely on the circumstance under which the employer received the money, and for what. If this was a flex plan, you would not receive a refund, but the details of the payment are not mentioned.

This comment is general in nature and is not intended as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship and obviously is not confidential. You should contact an attorney in your area who can review with you all of the relevant facts and give you specific legal advice.