Skip to main content

Can a employer cut your base rate of pay if you have accumulated some occurrences

Racine, WI |

My fiancée had called in a few times recently two of the days for which he had a doctors excuse & now his employer is coming down on him one of which they are going to cut his base pay .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Depending on whether your state is an at-will state, and whether other facts exist, for example, the nature of the medical condition involved, the employer typically retains the ability to change the terms and conditions of employment, including salary or pay rate in the absence of a written agreement of employment for a term of years.

The rub here, is that the employer may not alter the terms of employment in retaliation related to an employee's disability.

if the employee was absent due to a disability, rather than temporary illness, the employer may be in violation of the law.

Please check the law of your state


Wisconsin is an "at will" employment state. The employer can change the working conditions, pay, hours, etc. for any or no reason, so long as the reason is not one on the small list of prohibited reasons like race. If he has a contract (individual or Union) the answer could be different.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer