Skip to main content

Can a E-2 dependent reenter the US without any major mishaps if the primary visa holder is still working within the US?

San Diego, CA |

I'm a E-2 dependent with my father being the primary holder of the investor's visa. I'm planning to take a trip over seas, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to reenter the US if I do. My father is still fulfilling all the obligations of the visa.
If I were to try and reenter the US on my E-2 dependent, would there be any problems?

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration US visas
Attorney answers 3


If you are single, before 21 years of age and your E-2 is still valid, you can travel abroad and return to the US.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


No problems if you are under 21 and your visa stamp is still valid upon your return.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree completely with my colleagues ... as long as:

1. you are under 21
2. you still have a valid visa stamp
3. your father is still in the US on E-2 and you carry proof of that

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.