Skip to main content

Can a DUI probation officer instill a curfew if it is not written anywhere and not approved by the court?

Deerfield, IL |
Attorney answers 4


Sometimes your terms of probation will say something along the lines of follow any directions of your probation officer. I suggest reviewing your terms of probation to check all the language. If you had an attorney, you should give them a call. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen


Yes. Most conditions of probation include follow the rules and regulations of your PO. Contact your attorney if you have questions. Good luck.


The most likely answer is "yes." A second answer is: "do you really want to risk it?" Most probation officers have a very real power to put their clients in jail. While a lawyer might be able to get you out, that lawyer is not likely to get you out in time to save your job.

Talk to the lawyer you had when you were put on probation.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


Attorney Meaney is correct - contact your PO and review your terms and conditions.

Probation is an alternative to incarceration - indeed, some counties in New York still have an "ATI" office. The legal assumption is that jail is appropriate, but you are being given a chance to prove yourself at a lower level of supervision. No one in jail complains about a curfew ... you should not either. Your PO has wide discretion - do what he or she directs you to do and you will build trust and a good working relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer