Skip to main content

Can a deceased person's heirs have a right to pay back property taxes to buy property back?

Lake Luzerne, NY |

My father died in 2006 and I learned 1 day before the deadline that my siblings and I could buy the property for $5000 of back taxes. I called the county office to make arrangements and was talked out of it by the administrative person who said that it would be very costly as we would need to knock down the 3 out buildings and renovate or remove the mobile home. I always feel very regretful now when I pass it and all of those building are still there! I believe the county owns it and it is not being used at all, but would have loved to have this to keep it in the family. Do we have any recourse? Was the county required to contact all of us? My sister told me and my father's widow told my sister, all last minute with no time to plan or research these things.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


A bit too complex and fact specific for a message board. You need to speak with a local real estate attorney.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


You need someone to investigate this situation. I also think a Real Estate attorney is the right person to start with. It really depends on what happened and how long ago title passed and why. I would not be too optimistic, but it is certainly worth looking into.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer