Can a Credit card company garnish my wage on top of Child support in sate of Delaware?

Wilmington, DE |

I read in state of delaware website that only one wage garnishment is allowed per employees pay chek. I am already paying child support. So does Child support count as garnishment? Can a credit card company garnish my wages ontop of the child support garnishment?

Apparently there aren't too many attorneys licensed in DE on here. Sorry it's taken you so long to get an answer (and unfortunately I'm not going to be able to help you). If I were you I would contact Matt Carucci http://www.yourdelawarebankruptcylawyer.com/attorneys/matthew-m-carucci/ who I am sure would be able to help you. I know that in Ohio, where I am licensed, there is a maximum % of your paycheck that can be garnished and only one Creditor can Garnish at a time. I assume the same has to take place in Delaware (but lawyers don't guess or assume so reach out to Matt). If a collection agency or law firm threatened to garnish your wages and Matt says they are unable to do so, reach out to me and I can refer you to a FDCPA attorney in DE that will put some cash in your pocket. Under the FDCPA, collection agencies and law firms are not allowed to threaten to do anything they cannot do. Here, if they are not allowed to garnish your wages (because they are already being garnished) you probably have a decent case against them. Good Luck!

I am an attorney licensed to practice law in Ohio and some Federal Courts throughout the United States. I am not answering your question to solicit you as a client and there is a good chance that I am not licensed to practice law in the state that you reside. I hope that you find my assistance beneficial and, at most, use my advise as a finger pointing in the right direction. An attorney client relationship is not established by posting back and forth online. One of the most beneficial aspects of working with an attorney is the attorney client privilege which does not exist when you post personal facts online to faceless strangers. Hire an attorney if you want specific legal advise. If you cannot afford one, call your local bar association or search "(your city) legal aid" online. The fact that you took the time to post your question online likely means that you could use the aid of an attorney. Call around your area and see if any local attorneys offer free consultations.