Skip to main content

Can a court force a divorce on an uncooperative spouse?

Wisconsin |

Long story short, can a divorce be forced on a party if the spouse is being uncooperative and will only go infront of a judge (even with uncooperative spouse's attorney is having trouble getting them to cooperate)? For example, this particular person is a "I want it my way or else I'm not agreeing to anything" kind of a person. Both parties legal representatives' have come together and would come up with suggestions or ideas to benefit both parties, but this particular party will not agree to anything because it's not how they want it even if their own lawyer is telling them "you still get what you want" and only wants to talk to the comissioner/judge (but is just a waste of time in my opinion because won't even cooperate with their own attorney).

I believe this uncooperative spouse, wants it their way and is making it difficult because of anger and need for attention/professional mental health counseling and the only way to get them to comply is to force them to do it by court of law. So can it be requested to go infront of a judge/commissioner and the judge can rule for that one uncooperative party to comply because their making the divorce extremely difficult for everyone and costly for the other party? What should the other party who is complying and just wants to get a civil divorce do in this matter?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 1


I am sorry to hear your spouse is making this so difficult. It sounds like both attorneys are doing everything they can to guide you both through the process, but your spouse is creating unreasonable roadblocks.

Your last resort is probably to have the divorce scheduled for a trial in front of the Court. This is the least efficient, most expensive option, but it may be the only way to finish the divorce. I suggest you speak with your attorney about that option.