Skip to main content

Can a cop make conditions for not opening a case?

Joliet, IL |

I spanked my son and the ex went to the cops. They couldn't get a hold of me but I got wind they were looking so I went to the station. The detective there told me that if I did parenting classes they wouldn't press charges. I went to a few but due to work was unable to continue. Incident occured in June. I happend to start getting letters from lawyers and looked up my info online and saw that I now have a cm case that was opened a few days ago. Is this allowed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to retain a good criminal defense lawyer, and probably not any of the ones soliciting you. You do have defenses. to your misdemeanor charge. Good luck to you.


Hire a defense attorney ASAP.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


Yes it is allowed. You have now been charged with a crime and likely have a warrant out for your arrest. Court supervision is not an option for Domestic Battery so you'll have to hire a lawyer to defend the case. I would urge you to consult at least two experienced criminal defense attorneys and hire one. Most of us provide free consultations.