Skip to main content

Can a convicted sex offender obtain relief from the nightmare of registration and possibly have the conviction/record sealed?

Los Angeles, CA |

I know a person convicted of Attempt Lewd and Lascivious acts on a minor under 14. This occurred 26 years ago in 1986. The person has complied with all registration laws, has lived a reputable life, raised a family and this was his only felony conviction. Is there any way he may get relief from the mandatory sex offender registration and get the criminal record sealed, expunged, a certificate of rehabilitation, or pardon? If yes, what would he need to do to proceed in doing this? The conviction was in Arizona. The person's residence is in California.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This would depend on Arizona law. In California, a Certificate of Rehabilitation would do it. You would have to contact Arizona attorneys to see if they have something similar.


You must obtain relief in AZ for this .


A person cannot get a Certificate of Rehabilitation in CA for most sex offenses. See PC 4852.1(d) which provides in part "This chapter shall not apply to persons serving a mandatory
life parole, persons committed under death sentences, persons convicted of a violation of subdivision (c) of Section 286, Section 288, subdivision (c) of Section 288a, Section 288.5, or subdivision (j) of Section 289," These people must obtain a direct pardon from the governor to escape registration.

In your case since the crime was committed in AZ, AZ procedures would apply.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer