Skip to main content

Can a collection agency suspend my license or have the State suspend my license for failure to pay for an accident?

Orlando, FL |

I have a report against me that my vehicle was in an accident in 2012. They have my license plate and VIN number and made a report. I was never contacted by the other party, or his insurance, i was only contacted by collection agencies. They are still contacting me and stating they will get my license suspended for not paying the debt. The amount of money has changed many times. I was never in an accident and even if this report is true, I don't see why I couldn't go through my insurance to get this covered. I don't know why collection agencies are already calling me for something I was never made aware of. Thank you

Also, I was told that the other party had the car repaired already so it looks brand new and they didn't state where or what damage was done to the car. there was no personal/body injury

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You may have lent the car to someone who got into an accident and didn't tell you. Otherwise damage specifics.



But can someone just submit a false report to get money and come after me even if my car was not involved? Will my license get taken away if i do not pay? Thank you for your quick response


Contact a civil litigation attorney to review your case and assist you. The attorney can navigate through the legal issues much quicker and more efficient than you trying to figure this out as you go. Than you will also have an attorney to ask questions to throughout the process as issues pop up. Look right here on AVVO you can use the "Find an Attorney" tool bar.


If you are required to have insurance on the car and don't, in some states your license may be suspended if you're at fault for a collision and don't pay the damages or make arrangements for payment.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.


DMV can, so have a local lawyer investigate the situation. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low fee. Good luck.

Licensed & have offices in PA & NJ ONLY. (Philadelphia, PA & Marlton, NJ)



If the collection agency is in a different state, can they contact my local DMV to suspend the license? Should I just set up a payment plan? But I want to go through my insurance if anything


If you caused property damage to another vehicle and did not pay the damage the collection agency could go through a process to have your license suspended. It is possible that a scriveners error occurred and that could end up with you being on the receiving end of a license suspension. This is not common but does occur occasionally. I haven't dealt with it on this type of issue but I do see people occasionally that get a license suspension as a result of a mistake on a ticket. You might get more information about this in the criminal defense section.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer