Skip to main content

Can a citation for possession of paraphernalia be expunged if fine was paid?

Silver Spring, MD |

Marijuana paraphernalia if that matters (cigar). Ordered to pay a fine. Only a citation. No arrest , no booking, just a citation was issued. Also when I looked at case details it says guilty.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not if the final verdict and disposition was guilty. But if you act quickly enough, we may be able to change that, and you have a couple of options.

Nothing posted on Avvo or in response to an Avvo question or request is intended to be considered legal advice. For actual legal advice, please call Mr. Cleckner at 301-789-1616 or email at He will provide a FREE in-depth consultation where your entire situation can be evaluated.


If you were found guilty, this conviction cannot be expunged. However, you can file a Motion to Modify within 90 days of the conviction and ask that the conviction be converted to probation before judgment and keep your record clean. If you had an attorney, you should contact them to do it. If you represented yourself, you should consider hiring an attorney. If the conviction is stricken and probation before judgment is entered, you would be eligible for expungement three years later. This is important because potential employers will be able to see the conviction online and could jeopardize your job prospects.

Contact an attorney right away.

Office: 410-821-2910; e-mail: This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is not established with me until a retainer agreement is signed and/or a retainer or fee is paid. If you wish to schedule a consultation, you may contact me at 410-821-2910 or e-mail me at No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.


Convictions may not be expunged. More information about expungement can be found at

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer