Skip to main content

Can a child support judgement be inforced from 2001?

Fremont, CA |

I have a child support case from 2001 that states child support shall be reserved. The date the county started the child support was in 2011. My question is would they go back as far as 2001 if there was a judgement that was reserved in 2001? The case number is the same and I was informed the county changes the system in 2008. How would I go about having the child support agency to look over the judgement from 2001?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Reserving on child support didn't mean that you could get child support going back to 2001. Reserving meant that it wasn't being decided at that time, but that the court intended to reserve jurisdiction to hear issues pertaining to child support in the future.

I can be reached at 714-442-1522 if you have further questions. Before accepting any answer as a final answer, you should have your case reviewed by an attorney. No attorney on Avvo has read your paperwork and therefore cannot give a completely valid answer suited to your case.


I think the prior poster is probably right, but if you want a further explanation and to know all your options you should probably have either a private attorney or DCSS look at the orders in your case to determine if anything else can be done. There is a lot of good information at to get you started with DCSS.

The answer above does not constitute legal advise and is not based on any confidential information provided by the poster. Each situation is specific in nature and any answer offered is based only upon the information provided by the poster; the attorney does not warrant the answer is applicable to the poster's situation. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Your reservation is not a grant and you have no ability whatsoever to go back and get child support from 2001. Simply stated, no dice.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.