Skip to main content

Can a caseworker make me tell my daughter about my occasional use of drugs? Thats not why they got involved .

Fort Collins, CO |

I am involved with DHS and we are getting close to the end of our deferred adjudication .I am doing well and now the caseworker suddenly in emails to me saying that I have to tell my daughter about my drug use. Why would I do that she has been through enough with this ordeal and I dont believe that telling my 11yr old child about my drug use is apropriate.She never experienced abuse or neglect by me or anyone else,and when the caseworker told her that they took her because I got high my daughter said thats a lie my mom doesnt use drugs.Why would the caseworker want to make things more difficult for me and my daughter.How is telling her this going to help us.I dont have any drug charges.And as a parent Ive made several mistakes but i dont see the sense in telling my children.Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


This is technically not a legal question, but rather a question of how you are interacting with a child protection caseworker. The horse is out of the barn as the worker made a decision to tell your daughter the reason she was removed from your care without discussing this with you. I think that was a serious error in judgment on her/his part. If you have an attorney, you can discuss this issue with him/her. If not, and this is important, you can give us a call, schedule a consultation and develop a plan to deal with this.

Sometimes honesty is a better way to go. It is important that your daughter understands that it was nothing she did that caused her removal from your care. Perhaps it is OK for you to tell her that you made a mistake and that you have fixed the problem so it won't happen again. However, if you tell her this, you need to be sure that it doesn't happen again! Good luck!


Although you may disagree with the caseworker, the problem is that if you don't follow the recommendations of the caseworker, it will likely be reported to the Court at the next review hearing. You (or your attorney if you have one) could make the argument that such a recommendations would not be in the best interest of your child. However, you do run the risk of the Court disagreeing with you and of course, getting on the bad side of the caseworker which could have worse ramifications for your child than telling him or her about your drug use. I too wonder how it is that your child was removed from your care without this information already being passed to him or her but I don't know the details of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer