Can a ca cop take your phone without an arrest?

Livermore, CA |

Ca a California cop take you phone away from you without arrest and no receipt that they took it?

Well what were the circumstances that cause them to take it? Without more information, it's impossible to tell. The answer could be yes, no, or maybe, but it all depends on the facts. I practice in Alameda County - feel free to contact me for a free consultation if you would like to discuss your case further.

Mr. Feasel is a former Deputy DA in the SF Bay Area with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.

Police officers cannot seize you property for no reason. What was it about your phone that the officer took interest in. I suspect that there must be more to this story.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

I agree with my colleagues. There is more to this story than you have stated.

People v. Nottoli 199 Cal.App.4th 531 (2011) The Nottoli court goes into an analysis of search and seizure law, starting with Chimel, then Belton, then Thornton, and Arizona v. Gant (2009) 129 S.Ct. 1710, and ends with the following understanding: that vehicles and their compartments can be searched incident to an arrest (even if the arrestee is already in custody) when “it is reasonable to believe that evidence of the offense of arrest might be found in the vehicle.” Id. at 1714. They searched a phone and found incriminating evidence.

In your case, consider that they saw everything in your phone that was not password protected.

If it was taken as evidence, it was logged into evidence. Officers don't generally steal.

You need to ask for the phone to be returned to you.

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.