Can a bankruptcy help me with unpaid court fines, tickets?

Bremerton, WA |

I have a lot of unpaid court fines that are now in collection with Alliance one in Gig Harbor. While I know I cannot claim bankruptcy to get rid of the debt I want to know if a bankruptcy can help me consolidate and lower the interest rate as well as the accrued interest. I also have other unpaid things on my credit like a eviction from a previous house I leased. My main concern is getting this stuff down as much as possible into a monthly payment that will not take me til I'm 70 years old to pay off. A recommendation on a good bankruptcy lawyer in my area would be tremendously helpful as well. Thank you.

Best Answer

Chapter 13 will do just that. It will consolidate your debt and give you an affordable monthly payment. Depending on what you can afford to pay, you may pay back 100% or less than 10% of your debt over a period of three to five years. Interest stops accruing and creditors can only file a claim for the amount you owe when the case is filed. So long as you complete the plan you will be debt free at the end of the plan. Some of your debt may be nondischargeable such as court fines and those debts must be paid in full through the plan. An local attorney will be able to give you specifics on what debt will be dischargeable and how much your monthly payment will be.

It depends on the basis of the debt. They may be dischareable, however, they can always be paid off in a 13.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

The court fines are nondischargable. Filing a Chap. 13 will allow those fines to be paid off during the plan's term, but they cannot be eliminated without paying them off in full. The eviction won't be removed from your credit report - the bankruptcy won't affect that at all.

This answer is not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - it is to be considered only a general response to a hypothetical scenario posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

When you say it won't effect the eviction at all you mean it will still show on my credit report? I'm more concerened with the amount thats included with the eviction in the sum of over 12 thousand dollars. Will that be discharged in a bankruptcy?

Michael J Corbin

Michael J Corbin

Yes - it will still show on your credit report. A Chap. 13 won't discharge the debt unless it cannot be paid off in full during the repayment plan - a period of 3-5 years. While that is possible, it is more likely that some portion of that debt will be repaid - that's the purpose of a Chap. 13.