Skip to main content

Can a Agreement of Judgement regarding eviction be reversed?

Quincy, MA |

A friend of mine with no knowledge of the process and no money to pay for an atty, felt pressured to sign an agreement to leave his apartment. He had not violated any terms of his lease, he was just lumped into a few other tenants who were being evicted and was trying to make his case without being associated with these other tenants. He wants to stay in his apartment and have the judgment voided - this was done by mediation and he was not prepared to defend himself as he had not done anything to be evicted for. Can this be voided??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Probably not. Most Agreements to Judgment in Housing Court state that both parties are waiving their right to appeal. Read the Agreement carefully to see if this applies to your friend. He is certainly free to File a Motion to Stay the Execution, which could postpone the eviction date. There are numerous services available to low-income tenants, such as the tenancy preservation program. That would probably be a good place to start.


It is theoretically possible, but extremely difficult, to reverse a joint filing which was obtained through mediation. If there is to be a hope of doing so it would be very likely to require an attorney. You should seek counsel immediately to know if this is possible.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.


If the agreement was entered into the court (which is seems as so), then your friend will probably be unsuccessful. He waived his right to appeal (if the agreement states so). Are you sure he had a lease and not a rental agreement?

No attorney-client relationship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer