Can a 17 year old move out of their parents home in Florida

Steinhatchee, FL |

I live in charleston and my daughter moved in with her dad in florida. They don't get along and she wants to live with her cousin and his wife. I say its fine because she is 17. Her dad doesn't want her in Steinhatchee. He wants her to move back with me, which I am also fine with. But she doesn't want to. He has already allowed her to quit school 2 years ago so I dont see the problem. I raised her for the first 15 years by myself. We never did custody, it's always been that they could live with which ever they wanted

Best Answer

Has her dad ever had a court ordered determination of paternity or were you married? If not, then you are by law the natural guardian with residential custody and control, and you are the one who gets to make the decision unless he wants to go to court and get an order. Fla. Stat. 744.301(1)

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

we were never married and have been apart since she was 2. I was married a year later for 10 years (now divorced) he has been married 2 more times (on his 5th divorce). Paternity was never determined.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Then you are the one who gets to decide, unless he goes to court, which seems unlikely at this late date.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

The easiest way to do it and avoid a fight is have her go back to you, and then you send her wherever you want.

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Although I guess physically not. But since you are her legal guardian, you could just draw up papers to have her live with the people that you and she agree she can live with, so they can enroll her in school, get her medical care, etc. You should probably have a lawyer in Steinhatchee do that, especially if you think Dad will complain and if people there, which is probably a small town, have been treating him as dad. You may need an attorney to run interference and explain the law. Not everybody gets it, even when shown the statute.

It's up the parents. (But see Ms. Morcroft's answer.)

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!