Skip to main content

Can a 17 year old date a 22 year old

Sarasota, FL |

I am 17 and my boyfriend is 22. My previous guardian allowed us to see each other, but I have moved. My new guardian is my grandmother who is very conservative and believes that it's completely illegal, and blantantly disagrees with it, which in a way I understand her reasoning but I am almost an adult and I feel as if i have the right to make my own decisions which I have been doing for the past few years. In my opinion I believe that it is my decision because i do very well in school with a 4.4gpa and listen to all of her rules otherwise. It's just this one I am struggling with. I have done some research on the subject and have found Statute 794.05. Is this statue only with parental consent (in my case my guardians consent)? What if I were to see him without consent? Thank you in advance

+ Read More

Filed under: Juvenile law
Attorney answers 1


"Dating" likely isn't an issue. What often goes along with dating, I think, is what you're really curious about. The statute you cited is the correct statute for the situation, and under that statute, the 22 year old will avoid prosecution. As far as the guardian consent issue, I don't understand where you're getting that from (perhaps an older version of the law?). Guardian consent isn't an issue to this crime as far as I can tell.

There are some other things to consider. First, regardless of the criminal statutes, you should consider the input of your guardian. She has your best interest in mind.

Second, you should be aware that there are sexual performance laws that prohibit certain conduct of a minor (under 18). Basically, avoid cell phone snapshots and similar media. Here is the link to that statute:


The above answer is not intended as legal advice. For a more complete analysis of your situation, you should contact an attorney to schedule a consultation where all of the necessary facts can be revealed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer