Skip to main content

Came to USA on B2 with family, Filed COS i539 and get approval. Passed 1st semester and now want to visit my home country?

Baltimore, MD |

Respected Lawyers/ Attorneys!

I was on B2 with my family and filed "COS" i-539. I got Approval for F1 and my family for F2. I have passed my first semester and want to go to my home country during holidays for 2 weeks.

I was curious to know if i need to get any stamp before i leave or would i have to go to embassy in my home country after my arrival there? How risky is that ? I am afraid that Embassy might refuse and will not issue us F1, F2 visas. What can i do to ensure that i come back after 2 weeks without any problem at Border.

I have good presence in my college and a good student. Have no problem from college at all. I have also paid 2nd semester fee already .. !
Please guide me so i can avoid any problem on my return with my family!

I will really appreciate your expert opinion

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are correct, you need to go to the US Consul/Embassy to get F visa stamps.

2 weeks may be too short of a period to get the visa processed.

You didn't mention your nationality, thus we can't comment on whether they are a 'tough' or 'soft' Consulate.

Talk to your DSO for letters of recommendation & other suggestions.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Yes, you may have a problem obtaining a visa at the consulate in your home country, especially if you came to the US soon after you were granted your B-2 visa. You need to consult with an experienced immigration for a complete analysis of your case.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.


You should seek experienced immigration counsel prior to traveling, depending on the country you are from, you might have issued with visa issuance and it might be a barrier to returning. Seek advice prior to finalizing travel.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and is for general information purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is based upon the information given by the requestor. In order to provide the requestor with legal advice, a legal consultation would be necessary and at such times all relevant information would need to be disclosed by requestor.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer