Skip to main content

Came to US in 2004 on H4 visa. Now Im 21, what can I do to change my status?

Bronx, NY |

Came to the US as a minor and dependent. Now Im 21 trying to go back to college and get a degree, but is hard without any form of income and is also harder to purchase with credit card without proper id. (I feel uncomfortable having my passport in my pocket, might misplace it)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The only thing you can do now here in US is get married. All other options for visas are unavailable due to the overstay.


How long have you been 21? Your H-4 status would have ended as of your 21st birthday. You may now be here in the U.S. w/o any status.

Have you looked at changing to or obtaining F-1 status. Will your parents or any other relatives help with the costs of school?


Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
Serotte Reich Wilson, LLP



I turned 21 on Feb. 9th and at the moment, I am trying to save up money to get back to school. I did attend one semester of college but had to stop due to financial problems.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer