Skip to main content

California probate laws, beneficiaries right to transfer title of home, dispute with bank

Lakewood, CA |

My parents left their residential home to me in their will. The banks have not allowed me to transfer the title into my name after providing them we a copy of the will and the death certificatesbecause the will did not state who would be making the mortgage payments or taxes on the property. Is this a true reason to be denied or is just the Washington Mutual bank. What course of action can I take.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If your parents left their home to you in their will, the house will have to go through probate in order to transfer legal title to you. You cannot simply transfer legal title with a death certificate unless you were joint tenants with rights of survivorship, which I presume you weren't. Also, the bank accounts could be transferred with a death certificate if you were the pay on death beneficiary or transfer of death beneficiary. I am based in Long Beach and handle probate administrations. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer