Skip to main content

California DUI school transferring to washington state?

San Jose, CA |

I got a DUI in may and plead guilty. They dropped my work time and fine me more. What I'm wondering is I'm just finishing up my first month in DUI school out of 9. I have to move to washington state for work on 12/1/2012. I'm wondering if its possible to transfer my DUI school to washington state as ill lose my job if I can't drive and can't move. I'm kind of stuck. Any help is appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you had an attorney then ask them this question as they will know your case better than we will. Assuming you now have a restricted license, it will remain restricted until you finish your DUI School and it must be done in CA. You can probably get over half of the classes done during the first three plus months before you move. You are also probably required to complete the School in CA as a condition of your court probation. You can get it done once you move by flying back to CA on the weekends until you are finished. It's a major cost and a major pain, but this is one way to get it done and avoid a probation violation and further license suspension and save your job.

If you want to change the School to Washington or to an on line school, you will need to go back to court to get the condition of probation modified. If you do this, CA DMV will suspend your privilege to drive in CA and you are looking at no driving for probably 9-10 months. This means you cannot drive in another state. Once that Suspension period is over, you can contact the Mandatory Actions Unit of DMV in Sacramento and request a 1650 waiver as an out of state resident. Once you comply with the proof they need (residence and insurance) then they will lift your CA suspension and you can apply for a license in Washington. If you go this route you may want to consult with a DUI attorney in Washington to confirm this will work.


You must complete the class in California for the California DMV to fully reinstate your driver's license. Talk to your attorney about the specifics but you will need to do the class in California if you want a California license.

Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area with questions regarding your specific case. It is always in your best interest to have a good DUI attorney represent you when you have been arrested for a DUI.


Mr. Bortel gave you a very concise and well though out CA answer. I would add that even after talking with a WA lawyer I would contact the WA DMV (or whatever they call themselves) and ask them:

1. about reciprocity of programs with CA
2. whether your CA license based upon your specific "type" of CA DUI will be "good" in WA

I have had numerous states not accept (not give privileges) based upon DUI/DWI refusal cases or higher BAC cases, even though the offender state did give a conditional/provisional/restricted privilege license.

In some states it does make a difference. It doesn't hurt to hear things directly from the DMV, just saying. This is very state DMV specific with DUI/DWI.

Lawrence (Larry) Newman, D.C., J.D. Attorney at Law Doctor of Chiropractic Licensed in NY, PA, NJ, & FL The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Dr. Newman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.


It also depends how long you need a license in Washington. Moving for the next number of years, or just seasonally? It takes a while for your CA conviction to catch up. w/ other states. However, eventually, you'll need to get this straightened out.
You could take a leave of absence form the DUI classes, again short term solution.
There is no easy long term solution. The court may offer relief, but DMV will not. We can only hope this injustice will change so decent, hard working guys like you can continue to work, provide for their family and contribute to the tax base.