California when you have been with someone for over 15 years,what are you domestic partners or common law or registered partner

Burbank, CA |

married to someone else, been with boyfriend for over 15 years can i still file for domistic partners or can we register to be partners and would i be in title to any of his pension, we have legally adopted my grandson also.

You have no rights in California other than possibly Marvin rights. You will need to have a consultation with an attorney who is familiar with the requirements of a Marvin case.

Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: schwerin@ix.netcom.com. Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.

Your posting is unclear. If you are married to someone else, you are married to someone else. Califonria does not have common law marriage (and if you were married to someone else ... )
The "Marvin" rights described by my colleague are essentially "contract" based rights so unless you have an agreement, no.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns

Right. There's no common law marriage in the state of Calufornia. It was abolished in 1895, yes you're reading the year correctly. You have to do something affirmative to obtain those rights. It's worth your time to consult with a family law lawyer with substantial experience with Marvin trials as to the merits of your case. You do have statute of limitations issues do don't dawdle on this,

Sorry, but no.

1. You're still married to someone else, so you CAN'T get married (in any way) to your boyfriend, or become registered domestic partners with him.

2. There's no common-law marriage in California, so even if you WEREN'T still married to someone else, simply living with someone in the state of California doesn't ever make you married.

3. Unless you're married to, or domestic partners with, your boyfriend, you're not entitled to any of his pension.