By law..in michigan,after spending 22 straight years in prison,are you eligible for SSI?

Detroit, MI |

While incarcerated,bone spurs were removed from my little toes and my feet swelll and are constantly in pain,i injured my back while workig in food service

Filed under: Criminal defense

SOMEONE WHO IS IN PRISON OR JAIL

If you are receiving SSI and you go to prison or jail, (this also includes correctional institutions, such as detention centers, halfway houses, boot camps, etc. but does not necessarily include home confinement) you are not eligible to receive SSI for any full calendar month you are incarcerated. In addition, we cannot pay any retroactive payments for benefits due before you were incarcerated. We will hold the retroactive payments until you contact SSA and provide proof that you are no longer a prisoner.

Please see our pamphlet, ‘What Prisoners Need to Know’, or view it online at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10133.html if you want more information about how being in jail or prison affects your SSI benefits.

In most instances, you can apply for SSI benefits and food stamps several months before you expect to be released from prison or jail. See the SSI spotlight on the Prerelease Procedure.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.