Skip to main content

Boyfriend = physically abused by father & afraid he is going to kill himself. We are both 17. what can we do to pay 4 college?

Fair Lawn, NJ |

Hes afraid to leave because he needs his fathers income to pay for an education. What can we do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Much more information is needed to answer your questions. For instance, college contribution is usually spelled out in a divorce judgment/property settlement agreement. Are his parents divorced? If so, is there an agreement that addresses who pays for the children's college expenses? What do you mean by "he needs his father's income?" Is his father's name on college loans? I suggest first and foremost that your boyfriend remove himself from a violent situation and seek help from a trained mental health professional. I also suggest he have a consultation with an attorney immediately. You also raise issues of domestic violence and the possible need for a restraining order. Again, he should seek legal advice.

This answer is informational ONLY and should not be construed as legal advice and does NOT establish any sort of attorney/client relationship.


Talk to a school counselor or teacher to address the physical abuse. Without more information, there is no way to address your other questions, but you should immediately seek help at your school if abuse is taking place.

The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


The information you have provided is far too scant to competently respond to. Abuse can be addressed by your friend to school officials.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site, you agree and understand that there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State having jurisdiction over your matter, and who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about, and with whom you would have an attorney-client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State having jurisdiction over your matter.


The others are correct - you really need to give more information before a legal solution can be found -
I am responding because you say you are afraid that your bf will kill himself. Please take this seriously and seek counseling for him at school, church or on one of the many hotlines. Suicide is horrible and if your bf has threatened it, or is talking about "ending it all" or has made similar comments, you should seek advice right away.
Also he may be able to report the abuse to New Jersey Department of Children and Families (Formerly called DYFS) and obtain some protection.