Skip to main content

Bought a car, with "as is" warranty. took it to mechanic, found out it had a cracked block. Can I cancel check? or return car?

Youngstown, OH |

Yesterday, I bought a used car with an "as is" warranty. The dealer said he was giving me a "great deal", and told me that "if I waited to long the car would be sold". After purchasing, on my way home, I stopped at my mechanics. My mechanic told me that the car had serious engine problems. He told me that the engine block was cracked, and that It was leaking oil into my coolant system. The car has only been in my possession one (1) day.

Can I cancel the check and return the car? If I do cancel the check, can they take legal action? Is there any way out of the contract?

I live in Ohio

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


"As is" means as is, but it does not always mean you are stuck. Ohio has a special law that governs car dealers and says what they can and can not do when they sell cars. If that law, or other consumer protection laws in Ohio, were violated, you may be able to get out of the deal anyway. In a used car sale, your legal rights are mostly determined by the paperwork that you sign. Look to see if anything was written down about any kind of warranty or guarantee. Also there’s a federal law t If this answer helps, please check the box below; if not, please ask your question again. hat requires all car dealers to post on the window of all used cars they are selling a special “Buyer Guide” form (it’s often called a Used Car Window Sticker) that discloses whether or not a warranty comes with the car. Many small lot car dealers don’t comply with the law. If they don’t, then you may end up with a warranty after all and you may even have the right to cancel the sale. The back side of the form has to be completely filled out and many car lots, big and small, fail to do that too and that can also trigger your right to cancel the deal. You can see what the Buyer Guide form looks like on this web site page: . You need to talk to a local Consumer Law attorney who deals with this kind of case (it's called "autofraud" or car sales fraud). Call your local attorney's Bar Association or you can go to this web site page ( for a nation-wide listing of consumer lawyers and find one near you (lawyers don’t pay to get listed here and most of them are members of the only national association for Consumer Law lawyers, Also, for every legal right you have, you only have a limited amount of time to actually file a lawsuit in court or you automatically lose (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to an attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer helps, please check the box below; if not, please ask your question again.