Skip to main content

Both my mother and my father refuse to let me use their information on my FASFA. Can get a court order forcing them to do so?

Glendale, AZ |

I moved out of my house a year ago when I turned 18 and I now live with a relative. They have been paying for my classes at a Community college but due to emergencies can no longer afford pay. I am not married, do not have kids and I am not in the Armed Forces. My mother currently goes to school using a combination of her husbands GI bill and Financial Aid but still refuses to let me have any of her tax information, even to use it for a student loan.

I will never be able to afford $5,000 a year in tuition and to support myself on a minimum wage job.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It is unlikely you can get a Court order forcing your parents to give you their info. The good news is that some financial aid packages can be offered dependent students without requiring the parents to file a FAFSA, provided that the financial aid administrator verifies that the parents have ended financial support and refuse to file the FAFSA. Go speak to your financial aid officer and ask for a Dependency Status Override. Good luck!

You can reach DeWitt-Lopez Law, P.C. by calling 602.263.3900 or visiting All of my responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and my response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am licensed to practice in the State of Arizona. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.