Skip to main content

Biological father's rights in TX, served papers by adoption agency to terminate parental rights

Texas |

The mother of my son, whom I was never married to, placed him up for adoption as soon as he was born. I was then served papers by the adoption agency to terminate my parental rights. I want to gain custody of my son, but there are very tight time constraints on filing an answer to this suit. I have gone to several different attorneys, but they want at least a 5000 dollar retainer. Don't get me wrong, there is no amount of money I wouldn't pay to bring my son home, but to raise that amount in such a short time is hard. My question then is this: Would it be possible for me to file the necessary forms myself and if I have a shot in the dark of winning against an adoption agency?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Run, do not walk, to the court house or adoption agency involved and file a WRITTEN objection to the adoption and include a paragraph stating that you are looking for a lawyer and need additional time. If can be a handwritten letter, and this will probably buy you some time.

Then go to your local legal aid service, or check with the lawyer's referral service in your county seat or of THE STATE BAR OF TEXAS in Austin

Telephone Numbers

to point you in the direction of local legal help

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer