Skip to main content

Bigamy Question: Husband didn't divorce wife in Morocco B4 Moving to USA where he married me - is this still considered bigamy?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

He was born (in 67) in and married in Morocco in (in 97). My husband emigrated to the US from Morocco in 2003 but had not officially divorced his wife. He has since married me legally in the state of FL. He had told me that he was divorced in Morocco, but I have since found out that he is still legally married in Morocco and he's never shown me ANY legal paperwork or divorce decree from Morocco. Being that the US cannot enforce Moroccan laws, and vice versa - is this still considered 'bigamy' in the United States - in the legal sense and could it be grounds for me seeking an annulment as he deceived me about his prior marriage status? Also, he has not yet applied for US Citizenship but wishes to, could this affect the outcome of his application?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Yes - being married previously will bring into play bigamy and possible annulment. I would recommend you consult with local counsel to discuss further.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a divorce and family law firm located in Orlando, Florida. Communication through Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to our office until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.




Yes. This is an issue that you really need to speak with an attorney about.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.


Yes - seek help.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.


Yes, absolutely it is bigamy.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Your marriage to him is void, a nullity, and you can seek an annulment. You should hire an attorney for this.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239


Yes and yes. You should consult with local family law counsel to help get you out of this mess. An immigration attorney can help you with the other matter, but he is not legally married to you he cannot use you as his wife to obtain residency in the U.S.

My comments should not be taken as legal advice, as the full facts of each case are necessary to give a legal opinion. Further, this advice does not create an attorney-client relationship between the parties.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer