Best advice to handle neighbor who cropped my trees that were 10-15' high to 6' for his view into my back yard.

Sacramento, CA |

I plated trees and shrubs and let two trees grow to 10-15' to provide privacy from the neighbors who constantly watches us and make false nuisance calls. So over the weekend they cut down the two in my back yard trees to 6' without my permission and tossed the debris back into my yard.

Contact the city building or planning department. Also, file a police report. This is a potentially criminal act. You may have a good claim against the neighbors for damage to your trees. Contact a local attorney for a consultation.

Keith G Langer

Keith G Langer

Absolutely file a police report and document the damages with photos and an arborist's analysis of the cost of replacement of the trees. There are likely grounds for criminal trespass and malicious destruction of property.

Thank you for your advice and I will file one now. The Sacramento Police non- emergency said it's a civil matter not a crime, but under your classifications it clearly is a crime. Thanks again

Mr. Spirtos is correct that you do have a good case. I am local to Sacramento and could assist you with this. Joe Marman 916-721-3324.

Thank you for your reply and I will consider calling you soon.

In part this depends on whether parts of your tree were extending into your neighbors yard. If so, the may have the legal right to trim. As for dumping the cuttings into your yard, that seems clearly a trespass and damage to your property.

This is not a legal opinion, and should not be relied upon as such. Contact MARTIN APC at 510-444-7600 with any questions regarding this post.

Thank you for your reply. Our neighbor's always trimmed the trees that overhung the property line and tossed debris back into our yard. But this time he topped all the branches he could get to, all on my side of the fence so he can have his view into our yard. His blinds are shut but have opening in the corners so he can see into our yards. I asked for advice on this subject last year but was told, watching is not a crime. So I planted shrubs and trees in the front yard and let the ones in the back grow out. So he fixed those trees without permission and dumped the branches in my yard. I want to almost thank him for cutting the trees, now I have some solid evidence of his nuisance and hopefully hit him in his pockets where it matters.

Neighbor disputes are the absolute worst types of problems - i wish you well and you should seek counsel right away. If you live in a community which is governed by CC&R's, it might be good to contact them and see if they can intervene.

Thank you for your advice and I will consult with legal counsel because he's been at this for over 6 yrs. and cost us a family pet, lost money on fines and property. Unfortunately our neighborhood doesn't have a neighbor or homeowners association this is why it's been going on so long. Now he cut down trees on my side of the fence, I almost want to thank him because know I can do something back. It's gotten so bad family and friends aren't comfortable outside, so it gets lonely BBQ'ing.