Skip to main content

Being that the age of consent in PA is 16, how many years of jail time can the adult face for engaging in underage sex?

Pittsburgh, PA |

If the adult has consensual sex with a minor who is 16...what are the possible penalties that they would most likely have to deal with?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends on the criminal history of the defendant, and the facts and circumstances of the case. The crime of Corruption of Minor (sexual nature) has an Offense Gravity Score of 5. According to the sentencing guidelines, if you have no prior offenses, you could get 9-18 months in the county jail, or you could get just probation or anything in between.

If you have a prior record, you are likely looking at county jail time, but again, the facts and the circumstances are very important to where the judge falls on the sentencing guidelines.


Although 16 is the age of consent, it sounds like you already know that you can still face criminal liability. Corruption of a minor is still a crime that can lead you to serious jail time. How much? As with most things, the answer is -- it depends.
My colleague has already set forth the details re: the sentencing guidelines and some possible sentences.
You should know that - if an accusation is made, or if law enforcement gets involved, your ability to control the situation vanishes immediately. With that in mind, I think the best advice is to avoid the risk altogether.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. Speak to an attorney in your area to protect your legal rights.


You should talk with a criminal defense lawyer in your area if you:

(1) have been accused of corruption of a minor or statutory rape by the minor or a relative or the police, or

(2) you are contemplating having sex with such a minor.

Remember that corrupting minors is not limited to sexual intercourse!

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: