Skip to main content

Being sued in Florida had no Bodily Injury Coverage on Auto Insurance

Palm Beach, FL |

What should I do? State farm is seeking $25k from a extremely minor fender bender. I had no Bodily Injury on my policy (Not required). I have no assets. I have a few thousand dollars in the bank to pay bills and I rent a room from my brother. I make around $30k a year. This was a three car crash but I was in the middle car. The officer on the scene wrote two separate police reports. One for me hitting the guy in front of me (which is whom I am being sued by) and one for the guy that hit me in the back. What are my options? What type of lawyer should I look for? My insurance company said they are unable to assist me because I declined Bodily injury coverage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will need to retain a civil defense attorney. Unfortunately you will find that this attorney will cost you much more than you would have paid in premiums, had you appropriately covered yourself with automobile liability insurance.

No one should own or operate a vehicle without having adequate automobile liability insurance coverage.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.


Mr. Lundeen is correct, never drive without BI insurance and you should also purchase underinsured and uninsured protection. Get a good lawyer to defend you and beef up your insurance coverage. I wish you the best.


In a three car collision, such as this, although you are responsible to the car in front your vehicle hit, the car behind you that hit your vehicle is likely responsible for the damage he caused. At any rate, it may not be mandated that you purchase bodily injury liability in Florida, but if you don't and cause injury, its possible you will have your license suspended unless you take care of the financial consequences of your negligence. If State farm chooses to subrogate (sue you) for its insured's injuries, and you want to avoid a default, you will need to hire a lawyer familiar with personal injury litigation. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer