Skip to main content

Being investigated for welfare fraud what is happening, what should i do

Du Bois, PA |

Guy showded up at my home said im being investigated. Asked about my kids dad. We are married and have kids but we have not lived together since 2 months after married. I dont know if i ever told them I was married cuz things went bad so fast. I have paid all bills on my own accept 2 for the past 2 years, and never recieved child support. I do not pay rent as I live in a home provided by family and I did not claim to pay rent. I am shocked and Im at a loss I dont know why im being investigated or what to do. I have not lied about income or bills, and the only ppl who live in my home are the ones I claimed. Should I just call and have them shut off my food and medical...I need it but i would rather have my kids live with parents than be treated like a criminal!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


First, do not post any more information here. This is a public website which means anyone - including fraud investigators - can see what you post.

Second, do not talk to anyone else until you talk to an attorney. Anything you say to an investigator will come back to haunt you later - if they have questions, politely tell them you are not answering any more questions until you talk to an attorney.

if you cannot afford an attorney, call your local legal aid office and see if they can help.

Good luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.



Plz dont take this as me bein rude...but I am only posting the truth here...they can not proove who I am yes its public...if they read it that is ok. Im really just trying to understand should i call my worker...the guy really cought me off gaurd an it has been almost 2 months since this happened and I have herd nothing else.

Clifford Michael Farrell

Clifford Michael Farrell


I understand. But you posted enough facts here that an investigator who talked to you might put things together. Government agencies regularly look at sites like this, and that's how people get caught. So, I do not take it as rude. I want to make sure you know that if you post here you may be giving up hurtful information, or waiving any claim to privacy, or certainly make an attorney have a hard time arguing the info you give him or her is privileged - you posted it on a public website. Good luck to you.


Yes, as my esteemed colleague directed you should speak with an attorney and not to complete strangers here on the internet.

Generally, when you accept the state benefits you are also agreeing to pursue other sources of income you may have access to, such as child support. If you knew where the children's father was, etc. and did not help the state try to get child support payments from him to pay for the cost of the public benefits you were receiving then you might have a problem. The marriage has little if anything to do with it as he likely still owes child support whether there was a marriage or not.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.


Hire an attorney as soon as possible. This is extremely serious business.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer