Skip to main content

Before the debt collector can attach any liens or wage / tax return garnishments, do they have to have my name on the judgment?

New York, NY |

I have a default judgment against me. But it has my maiden name, not my married name, on it. How does collecting work?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Doesn't matter. Collecting the debt will work the same. The collector may encounter some obstacles if the target of the garnishment (employer, bank, etc) cannot match up the accounts, but often times, the creditor uses your SSN, not just your name.


I agree fully with my colleague. The debt is linked to you through your social security number typically, not through your name. Otherwise, the everyday consumer would be changing their names constantly to avoid debts.

The answer to this question is intended to be general legal information and does not represent legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. To get specific legal advice surrounding your situation, you should consult a local attorney.


Second Mr. Hanrahan. Often times the answer to legal questions can be answered by the most obvious question. Here, can we avoid all debts by changing our names? Obviously, no.


The difference in name will not stop collection activities though it may make collecting alittle bit harder.

The information contained in this posting is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The furnishing of this information does not create an attorney client relationship. An attorney client relationship requires the furnishing, review, and signing of a retainer agreement.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer