Skip to main content

B1visa-Extension/Is it valid to ask for an extension to stayUSA to support my family in the recovery process of a family member?

Portland, OR |

I came to visit my family. My son in-law mother suffered an accident on January, 2013. She was in the hospital in intensive care. He and my daughter are helping to take care of her at her home while she recovers. I will like to support my family during her recovery process, helping my family to watch my granddaughter who is 1 year old, while her parents support her grandmother . I will like to know if it is valid to ask for an extension to stay for those reasons.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, but it is still up to USCIS to decide whether to extend the status or not.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You may want to change and extend to a B2 visitor as the B1 is for business meetings. I would urge you to contact an experienced immigration attorney to process this case for you. Also there is no guarantee immigration services will approve your case and you should be aware that it may take 3 months or longer to get a decision so there is a risk that if you get a denial that your time here is counted as out of status. Again consult with an experienced immigration attorney before you file to get the details of your case and get the full picture.

DISCLAIMER: The information you obtained in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice and it should not be construed as a formation of a client-attorney relationship or legal representation, which can only occur after the execution of a formal engagement letter or retainer agreement. For a FREE Consultation call (212) 804-5770 or visit us at


I agree. You can ask. It is up to the USCIS.


You probably can ask for a change/extension of status. Meet with an Immigration lawyer in your area to go over your documents and situation.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer