Skip to main content

B1 visa holder married to US citizen... HELP!

Las Vegas, NV |

I have been coming back and forth to the US on a B1 visa but this time married my US citizen wife 53 days after being in the US . We had been in a relationship for 6 yrs.

I arrived in the US in November 2011, had a pending H1b petition, found out H1b has been denied.

I do not want to violate any immigration law. I am willing to go back to my country ( Philippines) and process my papers to be with my wife. Is this the best way to go to avoid any issues with the USCIS OR should we file for adjustment of status while I am here in the US?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You probably can file for adjustment of status.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleague and you should speak with a qualified immigration attorney and have her review your immigration history so she can tell you the best path for you and your wife.

The statement above is only for general knowledge purposes and at no time intended to be a legal opinion. The individual posting the question and those reading should always obtain the advice of a qualified attorney. No attorney/client relationship is established.


You will most likely be fine applying for adjustment at this point but may want to consult with an immigration attorney for a review of your situation.

San Francisco Immigration Attorney for removal defense, all work visas and avenues to permanent residence, investors, and naturalization. Call 415.834.0600 for free phone consultation - mention Avvo! 235 Montgomery Street, Suite 728, San Francisco, CA 94104 /

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer