Skip to main content

Auto accident - Car owner is refusing my help?

Chicago, IL |

I was at fault for a car accident and did not have insurance at the time. The owner contacted me to pay for the damages by offering to let me bring the car to a shop of my choice. I gave him the info of my relative who owns a car repair shop. This is the only way I wou ld be able to fix the car as I do not have the means to fix the car otherwise and my relative will give me a break on the repair costs. The owner is now refusing to take the car in because he doesnt not want to drive the car that far (it's about 30 minutes away. ) His car is completely drivable, only the bumper needs to be replaced, so that is not the issue. He is now threating me that I must give him a place nearby his house within 48 hours and pay for the damages or else he will pursue further legal action. what do i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Guess you should've had insurance. Without it, you have no choice. He can sue you for the damage. Period. You should cease all communications with him and wait for him to sue you or present you with an estimate. Please get insurance--it's the law!

I gave your contact info to Jayne Schreiber and Marianne Deagle of Loyola Career Services. I've spoken to students there and they want to set up a meet/greet/network event with some of their students and solos I know. No pressure. If you aren't interested, no problem. Just giving you the heads up of they contact you.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Because you have no insurance you have very little leverage. Either the driver or his insurance may attempt to recover from you. You should seriously consider finding a way to pay for repairs at the repair shop of his choice. Don't admit fault to the driver or his insurer.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.


Without the benefit of insurance you're going to have a very difficult time with this situation.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


You have no choice. If you fail to pay or enter into a repayment agreement, your license will be suspended, indefinitely, in all states. If you have tickets, hire a traffic attorney. Otherwise, save your money to repay your friend.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:


Have a local lawyer negotiate down the amount and get you on a payment plan

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer