Skip to main content

Authorization Employment Document (EAD)

Macomb, MI |

My application was filed in a USCIS office since February 2, 2013 and I received a receipt dated February 4, 2013. However, as I am deaf and do not understand well the ASL (American Sign Language), USCIS has postponed my appointment two times to find me two interpreters:
1) An ASL interpreter
2) An interpreter with CDI (Deaf Interpreter Certificate)
As Since more than 150 days have passed and I have not started my interview, I applied on July 9 for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document)
The July 14, 2013, I called 1-800-898-7180 and I gave my A number to check the number of days.
But to my surprise, I was told that my A number is late and is not registered yet and ask me to contact the immigration for more information.
As it was a machine that had answered, I could not ask for further details and I am writing to help me understand the term "Is late and not registered"
I also want to know if there is possibility to related complaints as the delay is not my fault?
Really, I suffer

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am sorry you have having so many problems. Unfortunately, without more information, it is difficult to answer your question thoroughly. What type of application did you originally file? I am assuming it was an I-485 application to adjust status. Regardless, the best advice I can give if find a friend who can communicate with you in the appropriate sign language of your preference, and take them with you to a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney. I don't know if you have the financial resources to hire an attorney, but given your facts and particular situation, I cannot imagine there are many of us who would not mind doing some basic digging for you at the consultation level to try and get to the bottom of things. A lot of times, a simple consultation meeting can get things back on the right track without having to hire an attorney to complete the process. I would recommend going to and searching for attorneys near Macomb, Michigan. I am not sure if you can narrow your search for attorney by sign language (I know you can choose different languages spoken), but if you have a friend call on your behalf, that should help in getting the consultation set up. Best of luck to you.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer!

Stanley P. Walker

Stanley P. Walker


Thank you - I went to your luncheon session a couple of weeks ago at the annual conference and took good notes!


You need to get a good attorney to represent you. Generally, you request an EAD at the same time your I-485 is filed, and you receive your EAD within 90 days.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I think you should take the help of an attorney. These are special situation and perhaps not so ideal for a friend interpreter. Best Wishes!

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer