Skip to main content

Assignment of a different public defender?

La Fayette, GA |

My boyfriend has a public defender that he doesn't feel is helping him. Can he ask for another one? We tried and the woman at the public defender's office said that "they didn't do that" and that he had the best one they have. But legally, can he request a different one?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


While your boyfriend has a right to counsel, he does not necessarily have a right as to who will provide him such counsel. He can certainly request a different public defender, but he does not have to be provided one unless there is a showing of cause.

DISCLAIMER: Although I am an attorney, absent a signed retention and engagement letter, I am not your attorney. There are no exceptions to this rule. Moreover, you shall not rely on the information I am providing you, as it is only for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have given me, and new facts could substantially alter any answer I give. Just for the record, unless you live in Georgia, I am not licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. In fact, my knowledge of laws is limited to Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer