Skip to main content

As i have married an american and travel ed back and forth if i become american will i lose my ohip or do i keep my visa

Hiltons, VA |

i wish not to lose my ohip but i like to know if ido become american will it hurt me

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to adjust your status first; after that you will become a resident, and only after three years in resident status, you will be able to apply for citizenship and become "an American." When you get your green card (resident status) you will be able to travel back and forth...

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


Any questions about your coverage under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) should be directed to the Government of Canada or someone who is familiar with Canadian health insurance law. (Most attorneys on Avvo, being attorneys practicing in the U.S.A., will not even know what OHIP is). My understanding, albeit from anecdotes, is that if you move to the U.S.A. you will lose your benefits under OHIP. And if you ultimately become a U.S. citizen, you may nevertheless be detained at the border whenever you return to Canada and questioned extensively about when last you tried to use OHIP. The Canadian Government is disinclined to foot the healthcare costs for people who no longer reside in Canada.If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.