Skip to main content

As an international student whose overstayed my time after obtaining a masters degree an working would I qualify for the reform?

Reno, NV |

I initially came to the States on an F-1 visa. I've since graduated college with a masters degree and have since over stayed my time working and paying my taxes. If I stay illegal in the states would I qualify under this comprehensive reform to obtain the immigration benefits the reform would bring to illegals in the States if it passes. I've been illegal some 10 months now since the student work visa expired. Do I stay illegal and weather the storm or run back to my country before I ruin my immigration benefits. Please advise?

Thank you,

Illegal and worried

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


There is no guarantee that immigration reform will actually take place and if it does, when.. It sounds like you know the consequences of remaining in the USA under the current law. So whether you choose to accept the consequences and stay or return to your country is up to you.
I do suggest you sit down with an experienced immigration attorney and discuss your alternatives on a one-on-one basis.


What reform? Nothing has happened.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |


Sometimes I get surreal feeling with all these reform questions. This one is 12th for today alone. I assume you are well educated and intelligent person. Master degree after all. You probably listen to news and read. How you can expect us to predict what the new law is going to do or say, if we do not even know or are sure or, at least some of us, even believe, there will be a new law?

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


There is no "reform."

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


You have overstayed your visa and are currently illegal/undocumented. you have already taken the risk and generally, if you were inspected upon your arrival in the US, it is worth staying here even without an Immigration Reform.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer