Skip to main content

As an asylee I understand I've authorization to work without an EAD.What can I do if my foreign passport is expired?

Larkspur, CA |

I'm applying with my asylee status in form I-94 but the passport is expired.Can I still get employed if I show my form I-94 approving my asylee status with my passport expired?
Can I ask for 90 days to renew my passport or anything similar? Thank You

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You already have the required documents to be employed, however having a valid, current, government issued identification such as an EAD is a very good idea. It is often a bad idea for an asylee to renew their passport, since you are filing that request with the government which you contend, intends to persecute you.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.



Do you think I can be employed with my expired passport though? Thank you

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman


Its up to the employer. Stephen Berman Attorney at Law Immigration Attorneys, LLP 8989 N. Port Washington Rd., Ste 201 Milwaukee, WI 53217 Tel. 414.939.8099 Fax 414.939.8098 Sent from my wireless device This e-mail and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the named addressee(s) and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender, at Immigration Attorneys, LLP by sending a reply e-mail or by phoning the sender at 312.661.9100 and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof. Thank you.


Yes, there is no need to renew your passport. After all, this is the passport of the country where you would be persecuted if you returned.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Here's a cut and paste regarding completing the I-9.

neither refugees nor asylees are required to present an
Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766) to
meet Form I-9 requirements. Both refugees and asylees
may also present other documents that are acceptable for
Form I-9, such as Form I-94/I-94A indicating refugee
or asylee status. List B and List C combinations, such as
a State-issued driver’s license and an unrestricted Social
Security card, may also be presented by both.



I don't have a drivers licence/ IDthough since the DVM asks for a valid passport to get one.Can I use my expired passport though as a ID? thank you

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer