Skip to main content

As aCanadian citizen i have over stayed my 6months and more do i qualify in the new immig reform? and if i do what to do?

Dallas, TX |

What kind of info i need to show them? or do i need to? i have a CDL lience as well and also college edecuation will that help? and if i go back will i be able o get back?Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There is no new immigration reform, at least not yet.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If a new law is passed, it may be possible for you to benefit. Until then, there is nothing for you to file.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


There is no immigration reform.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


As my colleagues have said, there is no immigration reform yet. According to the Senate proposed bill, if you have been here since December 31, 2011, you can qualify if you have paid your taxes and do not have a criminal record (not sure yet what that will entitle).

Do not go back to Canada without having a document that allows you to come back to the U.S. legally, otherwise, and depending on how long you have overstayed, you will have a bar (like a punishment) and you will not be able to get back.

Speak to an attorney as you MIGHT be eligible for a benefit already (i.e. USC spouse, DACA, etc.).

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer