Skip to main content

As a withholding of removal grantee, is it possible to change my status after my parents earn their citizenship?

Austin, TX |

I am 24 years old, and was granted a withholding of removal status for failing to meet the 1 year rule on asylum applications. Is there any hope for adjustment if I have immediate relatives who are citizens? Namely both parents and both of my sisters.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


the problem is because you are 24, your parents would not be considered immediate relatives. it maybe would be possible if you were grandfathered under 245(i), and time passes for a priority date

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


No because you have been ordered removed but granted withholding of removal. You would first have to get your case reopened before adjusting status. Your immediate relatives can however, file I-130s for you now. Seek help from an experienced immigration attorney to help.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with attorney Murphy.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


It would be a good idea to file the I-130 first and then seek to reopen your case before the immigration court.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500