Skip to main content

As a stay at home mom who is possibly facing a divorce what do I need to know?

Cincinnati, OH |

I have a Masters Degree in Education so can I still get alamony? Do I have a better chance at custody of the Children?

Can my husband keep money from me until the divorce happens?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You sound like an intelligent woman. I'm sorry that you are going through this. As for alimony, more facts would be required, such as what is your work history. Your degree will be relevant to your earning capacity. As for custody, this too is a very fact-sensitive issue. You would be best served by consulting with a local divorce attorney whith whom you can share all of the facts of your case. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.



I taught for 5 years before children, but have been out of work for the past 7 years


Spousal support in Ohio is based upon the application of 17 statutory factors - only one of which is the earning ability of the parties. As to custody, my view of the Courts is that they tend to maintain the status quo. Therefore, you are in a good position by having been the "stay at home" parent, however, nothing is guaranteed. Custody is determined by what the Court finds is in the best interest of the children. It is unlikely that you will be able to continue to be a stay-at-home mom, so the dynamics will change to some extent. Interview several family law attorneys in your area and select the one you are most comfortable with. The stakes are too high to not have representation at this pivital point in your life.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Mr. Piper's response set forth above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Piper's responses to all questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information based upon the his understanding of the facts stated in the question, and are for the general educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. Also, a particular case may involve additional facts and circumstances which might invalidate some or all of the concepts provided in this answer and therefore you should not rely upon this answer in any individual situation. In order to offer legal advice about this or any similar situation, a qualified attorney would likely need to consider many factors not stated in the question and would need to question the potential client in order to clarify the specific facts operable in that case. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney in your state. Mr. Piper is licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio, and may be contacted directly via email at: