Skip to main content

As a child I was physically, mentally,verbally abuse. I am 51 yrs. old can I file charges against them now ?

Taylorville, IL |

I have had guns held to my head,wasn't allowed to speak or be spoken to by my brothers or sisters.Beatings daily. much much more because of this my life hasn't been easy

When DCFS came to the house to check they said all I had to do was to tell them what was going on.I couldn't do that because my father had a gun on him and if I said a word he would have killed them and me.

+ Read More

Filed under: Child abuse
Attorney answers 2


Your situation is too involved for an online answer.

Contact a local lawyer - many may give you a short free consultation - to discuss your specifics. Far too many variables exist in the short post you wrote for any further observation by me. Many attorneys have information posted here on Avvo.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

No one can know what the record is in the case. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This observation is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. This observation is not like a communication with a lawyer with whom you have an attorney-client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides.


I had previously filed a lawsuit of this sort against the State of Illinois, DCFS and a foster parent. The greatest hurdle you'll have in a case like this is overcoming the statute of limitations, which governs how many years you have to file a lawsuit. For certain reasons, the time may be tolled; in other words, certain circumstances allow you to file a lawsuit long after the statute of limitations has expired.

Consult with an attorney to determine whether your case is still viable.

James Rowe is an attorney with The Law Firm of Rowe & Associates in Illinois. He can be reached at (312) 345-1357.