Skip to main content

Arrested for possession of drugs please help.

Fort Myers, FL |

I was arrested for the possession of 3 grams of weed and the possession of a pipe. The cop pulled me over because my tag was expired I not being the owner of the vehicle did not know that. In the car at that time I had 3 grams of marijuana and the cop asked if I was in possession of any and I said no this was all after the fact that he asked me to step out of my vehicle. he called for another cop while I waited outside my vehicle. I would like to know what would happen to me and what should i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


The amount of marijuana recovered would support a charge for misdemeanor possession charge. If you are a first time offender, you may be eligible for drug court or other first time offender program. Call a few criminal defense attorneys in the Fort Myers area and you will get an idea of the process and probable outcome.

Good luck.


I would need more facts about what happened during the traffic stop. There may be a possible Motion to Suppress the marijuana. If it's not suppressed, possession of marijuana is punishable by a year in jail, but you are probably looking at probation or a diversion program, depending on your prior record. Contact a local criminal defense attorney to discuss your case.

The answer to any question is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Call today if you would like a free initial consultation.


I agree with Mrs. McMillan and Cerino. Additionally, though I'd like to know where the contraband was found. I think that the amount being small and that you are not the owner of the vehicle are significant. I believe most people who borrow cars or ride as guests/passengers do not search all the compartments of a car for possible contraband. On the other hand, if it was in plain sight, that doesn't bode well for you.
As the others mention, I recommend consulting with a local lawyer to discuss your case in more detail.


Contact a local criminal defense attorney for a free consultation.

Scott Moorey


They will both be misdemeanor charges. It is not possible to tell you what to do without more details, that being said I strongly recommend you not posting additional details in a public forum like Avvo. You need to immediately retain a criminal defense attorney. My firm handles such matters and offers free case consultations in matters like you are facing. Our office number is 813-830-2261. Good luck.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer