Arrested and charged with sale of meth

Newnan, GA |

I was arrested for sale of meth, been indicted, appointed a public defender, & have no idea what Im facing! I was told that I sold meth to an informant with a digital recorder. 2-3 weeks prior to my arrest, I had 2-3 visits & phone conversations from an officer of the drug task force telling me that he had enough evidence to arrest me but if I was willing to give him names or do a drug deal with a well known dealer as an informant, I may could avoid being arrested. (Long story short: Be willing to snitch to save my own rear end is what he wanted. I didnt believe there is any video on me & was thinking I was told that just to scare me into helping them. I agreed to contact him but didnt, was arrested & charged 3 weeks later. Waiting on discovery package & scared to death! Will I do time?

I have no prior drug felonies or misdemeanors!

You were appointed a public defender. That person is your lawyer, and is the only one of capably and ethically providing the information which you seek.

You can hire am attorney, if you want. Your family can help if they want to do so.

These cases are VERY serious and can lead to prison time, a very long period of probation, a substantial fine, losing your drivers license or right to drive in Georgia, and even being unable to college financial aid in Georgia.

Sometimes the videos are clear about who is doing what; other times the videos are not clear as to the identity of the actor.....

Watch the video and listen to the advice of your lawyer. And ultimately, the final decision about what to do is up to you, not anyone else.

You can contact me at my office at 770-744-4211 or by email through this website. The questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

Sale of Meth is a very serious felony and you could end up doing a significant amount of time. I understand that you are willing to provide information to the police but that will not guarantee you any benefit. This is a conversation that you should have with your attorney as it could backfire on you in the worst way.I have seen way too many people talk themselves into a cell. If you are not happy with the attorney you have, you should hire one.

The advice provided does not in anyway create a lawyer-client relationship and is for general information purposes only.

I dont intend by any means...to provide any information to the police. The officer told me again, on the way to the investigation room, "Tell me what I want to hear & I'll make sure get bond 1st thing in the morning". Being that I have a small child in school, have never spent a night away from home without him, & he is my full responsibility 24/7, I made up names & pretended to be willing to provide any information I could..and got bond the next morning. Not knowing the law & how they work, I've probably incriminated myself but I was terrified of not getting bond. I'm going to do whatever possible to hire an experienced attorney that's willing to fight my case! My case is expected to be on 4/9! Can my attorney ask for more time to prepare it?

Holly Wilkinson Veal

Holly Wilkinson Veal

If you were just released on bond your 4/9 court date is probably an arraignment dare and most judges will give you one free continuance. You can call your attorney and ask him to arrange it so you don't have to show up for court.

My arraignment was 3/14..court date set for 4/9. Sure seems quick. My arraignment was supposed to be 1/15 but was moved to 3/14 because the courts are so crowded. Hopefully I will be able to hire my own attorney as soon as Monday. This worrying is taking its toll! Thanks to all of you for responding..

Holly Wilkinson Veal

Holly Wilkinson Veal

I would be glad to talk with you about your matter at your convenience.

I would strongly encourage you to tell all of the details of your case to your lawyer. The description of events you provided is a common police practice. If you are convicted on sale of methamphetamine you are likely to go to prison. The sentencing range is from 5-30 years.

Thank you very much David. I have an appointment this week.